Re: Installation questions

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:40:04 +0100 (MET)
To: Olivier Aubert <Olivier.Aubert@enst-bretagne.fr>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Olivier Aubert wrote:

> Benoit Mahe <Benoit.Mahe@sophia.inria.fr> writes:
>
> > Well, Jigadmin is the only way to configure Jigsaw [...]
> Yes, and it can be sometimes painful, especially for people (like me)
> who are rather CLI-oriented than mouse-oriented, or if you have got
> many actions to do (and automate).

I agree, but there is an existing protocol, it is quite undocumented and
use java serialization, but java programs can be made to automate things
now.

> Good news from the evolution of the protocol. Do you have any (even
> innacurate) roadmap for this ? I plan to have a student project
> between january and march 1999 on a similar subject : integrate a
> script language into Jigsaw, or rather JigAdmin, to allow
> customization via a text-mode interface. I had a look at JEL

Well, the last 2.0 release will be done soon (by the end of december),
then we will start working on the XML-based interchange format. We already
have a preversion of the DTD that will be used, but it may change.
So it will be quite fast (I hope ;) )
Concerning the API of the admin server/client, it won't change. Only the
way the classes are serialized will change as we will use XML and not a
binary format.