Jigsaw 1 beta 2 shutdown problems

From: Charles Stewart <boss@wire.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:08:16 +0000
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
We are using Jigsaw 1 b.2 on Solaris 2.5.1 with JDK 1.1.5 production.
We recently moved Jigsaw from its default starting port to port 80, using
the procedure described in the FAQ - we run the server up as root
but change uid & gid to a specified non root priviledged user.

This works great, but for the fact we cannot shut Jigsaw down - ever.

Using /Admin/Exit records a shutdown inited...(save done) and
shutdown completed at: timestamp log to the errlog. However
the process does not exit, is still bound to the port, and only responds
to a kill -HUP pid.

This is getting to be a real problem for us, since we automate the
startup/shutdown overnight - which now alwayds fails leaving no
Jigsaw instance running at all and therefore no service !

Can anyone help ?

Charles Stewart
IT Manager
World-wide Intellectual Resources Exchange (WIRE) Ltd.
Sussex Innovation Centre
Brighton BN1 9SB
United Kingdom

E-mail: boss@wire.co.uk