Re: Windows95 and Servlet Loading and Testing

jlwhite@chrysalis.org writes:

> Help please I am new to web servers and their actions but I am willing to learn
> and it looks like I am the only person who is so confused.
>
> Okay I have Jigsaw 2.0 up and running. I have JDK 1.1.5 and JSDK 1.0.1. I have m
> y classpath set to both kits and the path also set. I would like to start writin
> g perl and servlet programs on this stand alone test machine.  Windows 95 and Ji
> gsaw 2.0 and Perl 5.
>
> I really have read almost all the Jigsaw html docs for both versions (1 and 2).
>  And am I confused.  I would like to get Perl and Servlet test programs running,
>  but I still have no idea how to load and test servlets or Perl.  But for this m
> essage I would like to learn how to bring up servlet support for Jigsaw 2.0.
>
> I need someone to please explain how to bring up servlet support via step by ste
> p instructions such as "click on this in JigAdmin" then "highlight this action"
> then "click on this" type of servlet support install instructions.
>
> Example for Jigsaw 2.0 servlet install I have done this:
>

> First I assume that Jigsaw is now compiled for servlet support and I do not have
>  to recompile all of Jigsaw!
>
> > 1.Create the directory servlets under WWW
>
> Clear instruction and I did this !
>
> > 2.Start the JigAdmin program and unfold all the nodes down to the space
> > node.
>
> I did this via the command line by typing the following:
>      java org.w3c.jigadm.Main -root D:\Jigsaw\Jigsaw http://localhost:8009
>
> Up pops the JigAdmin, I enter the passwords and click on down to the space node
> under the folder http-server (once again I assume this is where the space node i
> s). So far everything is fine.
>
> > 3.Select the space node, and activate the Resources editor helper. Enter
> > the ServletDirectory identifier (ie servlets) and the class of the
> > resource (ie w3c.jigsaw.servlet.ServletDirectory)
>
> First was does "Enter the ServletDirectory identifier (ie servlets)" mean ? Ente
> r where ?
> Is this the input box at the top of the screen called identifier ?

 Yes, in the input box at the top.

> What do I typ
> e there ? If not then what is this text box ? Do I type the word servlets or the
>  path www/servlets ?  For now I put nothing in this box  and went on to this:

 How to install a servlet, step by step:

 1) Create the servlet directory (ie WWW/servlets)

 2) Start the JigAdmin program and unfold all the nodes down to the space
    node.

 3) Select space (1)

  + Root
  |--- control
  |--+ http-server
     |--- control
     |--+ indexers
     |--+ properties
     |--+ realms
     |--+ space (1)
        |--+ Admin
        |--+ Icons
        |--- root

 4) click on the Resources button on top of the right part of the screen.

 5) In the field called "Identifier" put "servlets"

 6) Select "org.w3c.jigsaw.resources.DirectoryResource" with the
    widget bellow. Click on "Add Resource".

 7) Unfold the space node

 8) Now you can see a new node called "servlets" (2), select it.

  + Root
  |--- control
  |--+ http-server
     |--- control
     |--+ indexers
     |--+ properties
     |--+ realms
     |--+ space
        |--+ Admin
        |--+ Icons
        |--- root
        |--+ servlets (2)

 9) click on the Frames button on top of the right part of the screen.

 10) Select "org.w3c.jigsaw.servlets.ServletDirectoryFrame" with the widget
     bellow. Click on "Add Frame".
     Now your ServletDirectory is configured. You can modify some values in
     the frame like "icon" or "title". To do this, unfold the servlet node
     in the tree bellow the "Add Frame" button, modify the values, and click on
     "Commit".
     Now we are going to add a servlet in the servlet directory, (ie
     DateServlet.class which must be in the directory WWW/servlets or
     in the CLASSPATH)

 11) Select the node "servlets" in the big tree (left side of the screen)

 12) Click on the "Resources" button (top of right part of the screen)

 13) Enter the name you want in the field "identifier" (top of right part
     of the screen) ie "Date"

 14) Select "org.w3c.jigsaw.servlets.ServletWrapper" with the widget
     bellow. Click on "Add Resource".

 15) unfold the "servlets" node in the big tree (left side of the screen)

 16) select the "Date" node (3)

  + Root
  |--- control
  |--+ http-server
     |--- control
     |--+ indexers
     |--+ properties
     |--+ realms
     |--+ space
        |--+ Admin
        |--+ Icons
        |--- root
        |--+ servlets
           |--- Date (3)

 17) click on the "Attribute" button (top of right part of the screen)

 18) Put the class name (ie DateServlet) with or without the class extension
     in the "servlet-class" field

 19) Click on "Commit"

 20) The End! You can modify some attributes in the ServletWrapper or its
     frame. see 10.

 I hope this will help you.

 Benoit.

                      World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)