Re: jigadm problems

Jeff Van Epps writes:

> I'm a newcomer to Jigsaw and having some problems getting past that first hil
> in the learning curve. I've installed JDK 1.1.6 and Jigsaw 2.0beta2 on SPARC
> Solaris 2.6.
>
> 1. jigadm bombs when I try to change the admin password. Click Root, realms,
> JigAdmin, admin. Get exception:

>         at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.setForeground(Compiled Code)
>         at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.initialize(Compiled Code)
>         at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.<init>(Compiled Code)
>         at sun.awt.motif.MCanvasPeer.<init>(Compiled Code)
>         at sun.awt.motif.MPanelPeer.<init>(Compiled Code)
>         at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createPanel(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Panel.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Panel.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.ScrollPane.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Panel.addNotify(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Compiled Code)
>         at java.awt.Container.add(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigadm.editors.ResourceEditor.switchHelper(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigadm.editors.ResourceEditor.initialize(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigadm.gui.TreeListener$Initializer.run(Compiled Code)
>
> So I left Jigsaw running on the SPARC and started up JigAdmin on Windows 95
> giving it the URL of the SPARC, and it doesn't have this problem there.

 This problem occurs ONLY with this jdk (1.1.6 on Solaris), this could
 be a bug in the JDK.

> 2. Trying to figure out how to configure a directory to allow Netscape
> Composer to publish new documents there. The Jigsaw documentation refers to
> a resource PutableDirectory, but there is no such thing in the code. Is there
> a way to tell whether something like this was a 1.0 feature since removed, or
> a future feature not yet implemented?

 1) Set the "Putable" flag to on in the HTTPFrame associated with your
    DirectoryResource.
 2) In the associated indexer (default), set the Putable flag to on for all
    HTTPFrame (for html, gif, jpg, ... extensions).

 This should work with this configuration.

> 3. The FAQ says Jigsaw has been compiled to support servlets, but then it goe
> on to tell you to change things and recompile. Huh?

 No you don't need to recompile Jigsaw. But if you want to recompile
 Jigsaw AND use servlets you need to modify some files.

> Okay, it's beta. Is there any documentation more step-by-step?

 There is some tutorials in the documentation. See /Doc/Overview.html
 The documentation will be updated in the next releases.
 Regards, Benoit.

                      World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
                    Architecture domain - Jigsaw Team