RE: Jigsaw 2.0 beta 2 & Servlets

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Wolfgang Platzer wrote:

> But if I am using Jigsaw as our main http server a "brutal shutdown" shall
> be no problem. We have thousands of documents, a lot of servlets and
> realms - this means a lot of configuration work. But if now the machine
> Jigsaw is running on crashes I only can reboot. And if then the
> configuration is destroyed or inconsistent Jigsaw is unfortunately rather
> useless in a productive environment.
>
> In my opinion the sensitivity of Jigsaw to "brutal shutdowns" is one of its
> biggest problem.

Well, to avoid that, you should "save" your changes after some
administration on Jigsaw. Even if indexing of new resource is not done
yet, it won't be critical (you may have warnings but nothing more serious
than that). If the current configuration is saved (without killing the
server), even if you have to reboot the machine the configuration can be
recovered afterward.
Saving everytime the configuration would have taken too much time. User
driven configuration save was a reasonable choice... If you don't forget
to save :)