Re: Jigsaw and OpenVMS

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Francesco Gennai wrote:

 . .. . . .
  ..... . ..
> Just saying that you were not able to run it doesn't help! What are the
> symptoms? Do you have any trace?

Dear Yves,
I appreciate very much your work and your interest in VMS environment for
Jigsaw (that I hope to share with some other).
I don't know if I will able to give you all necessary information, because
it is the first time that I try JDK on VMS enviroment, and JDK 1.1.6 is
a beta release for VMS.
I'm sending this message also to the address: java-info@zko.dec.com, to
try to reach the JDK OpenVMS team.

Here is my experience:

The isntallation was ok (java Install)
The first problem that I encountered was that I wasn't able to pass
any parameter in the command line like:

java org.w3c.jigsaw.Main -root <instdir>\Jigsaw\Jigsaw

due to the VMS command line interpreter (I think)
(The error returned is:
 %DCL-W-MAXPARM, too many parameters - reenter command with fewer parameters)
I think this is a problem that should be addressed to the JDK/VMS team.

So I tried to start with the command :

java """org.w3c.jigsaw.Main"""
with default directory the one that I had to specify by the -root
parameter.

The classpath was defined to:

  "JAVA$CLASSPATH" = "SYS$COMMON:[JAVA.LIB]JDK116_CLASSES.ZIP"
        = "UTIL_ROOT:[JIGSAW.CLASSES]JIGSAW.ZIP"
        = "[]"

Here is the result:

$ java """org.w3c.jigsaw.Main"""
Jigsaw[2.0beta2]: serving at http://axp500.cnuce.cnr.it:8001/
*** Warning : no logger specified, not logging.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        at org.w3c.util.CachedThread.start(Compiled Code)
        at org.w3c.util.ThreadCache.initialize(Compiled Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.socket.SocketClientFactory.initialize(Compiled
Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.initializeServerSocket(Compiled Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.initialize(Compiled Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.admin.AdminServer.initialize(Compiled Code)
        at
org.w3c.jigsaw.daemon.ServerHandlerManager.launchServerHandler(Compil
ed Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.daemon.ServerHandlerManager.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.daemon.ServerHandlerManager.main(Compiled Code)
        at org.w3c.jigsaw.Main.main(Compiled Code)
SIGBUS    10*  bus error

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
** This line is written when I try to access the server for the first time
(by Netscape).

when I stop the image and exited it:
I have the following error:

%CMA-F-EXIT_THREAD, current thread has been requested to exit
%DECthreads bugcheck (version V3.15-150), terminating execution.
% Reason:  lckHandoff:  not owner; lock = 0x00000000002CC048, value =0x00000000
00000000, expected = 0x000000000183FBC0
%SYSTEM-F-IMGDMP, dynamic image dump signal at PC=00000000000FC84C, PS=0000001B

I have installed all the required patches on the OpenVMS, included
the one that is "experimental".
On the same machine the HTTP MOWS java-based server runs (at least the proxy
server).

Regards,
Francesco Gennai
Francesco Gennai                     Internet : francesco.gennai@iat.cnr.it
IAT - CNR                            Phone    : +39-50-593274
Via S. Maria, 36                     Fax      : +39-50-904052
56126 PISA   ITALY