Re: Jigsaw and OpenVMS

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Francesco Gennai wrote:

> Jigsaw on OpenVMS/JDK1.1.6 platform:
> I tried it.
> I had some problems:
>
>  first of all I want to say that is quite singolar that a product
>  that claim ( http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/ )
>
> >Portability
> >       The Jigsaw server will run on any machine running Java.
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> has file names incompatible with the OpenVMS file name syntax: some file name
> are too much long !
>
> Also if, I think that such files  (Api programmers, documentations)
> aren't important to try Jigsaw.

Well, the documentation is more up-to-date on the main site ( see:
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/ ), so it shouldn't be a big problem.
We already made a fix a while ago, for mac users (filename limitation
problem). Everything that was mandatory to run jigsaw uses short (well
shorter) names, and things that were too long has been put in a zip
(jigadm.zip for example).

> I was able to install Jigsaw (java Install), but I wasn't able to run it.
>
> Any help, or better: any future plan to have Jigsaw compatible with
> OpenVMS/JDK environment ?

Just saying that you were not able to run it doesn't help! What are the
symptoms? Do you have any trace?