URL to IP address Conversion

From: James C. Johnson III <jamesj@mitretek.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:05:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-jigsaw@w3.org'" <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Can you please direct me to document(s) describing the process of a browser
resolving a URL.  In particular, I am trying to discover if browsers cache
the IP address locally (at the client) once the DNS has resolved the Domain
Name, or does each request require additional DNS lookups?
If there is some document that describes the principles of operation of
browsers that would likely answer my questions.

				Thanks for Your Assistance .... Jim