Re: return of ingoingFilter

From: Paul Pazandak <pazandak@OBJS.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:21:33 -0600
To: qianglu@homer.njit.edu
CC: www-jigsaw@w3.org

qianglu@homer.njit.edu wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> ingoingFilter can return null or a Reply or NoOngoingFilter. Anything else? If ingoingFilter return a Reply, to whom this Reply will be forward? How about the Reply generated by the FilteredResource then? If ingoingFilter generates a Reply,
> can I stop its hooked resource to perform that original Request, and use ingoingFilter's Reply as
> the perform()'s result?
>
> Thanks,
> Qiang

If an ingoing filter returns a reply object then all further processing of the request
should stop. This means that a perform(request) should not occur. If you look at
the code, I believe that the the basic structure is:

    -    apply ingoing filters, stop if a filter returns a non-null reply
    -    if reply is null, perform request
    -    apply outgoing filters

Again, depending upon the request type you can view this code in HttpManager.

Paul.

Paul Pazandak                                      pazandak@objs.com
Object Services and Consulting, Inc.             http://www.objs.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420-5409                       612-881-6498