Re: Prop Filter Request - returning a a new reply in an ingoing filter

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:03:29 +0100 (MET)
To: Paul Pazandak <pazandak@OBJS.com>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Paul Pazandak wrote:

> If I return a reply in an ingoing filter (which would stop further
> processing of the
> request), what are the minimum set of fields that I need to populate in
> w3c.www.protocol.http.Reply? Do I only need to provide values for
> major, minor, status, and call setStream to set the content?

You need to create a Reply, according to the level of protocol used by using
Reply = req.makeReply(status);
where status is one of the HTTP status value as defined in
[org.]w3c.http.HTTP.java (an error value is 4xx, a OK value is 2xx...)
Then you have to fill the value needed to describe what you will fill in
this Reply. ex:

	    InputStream   in;
[...]
	    reply = req.makeReply(HTTP.OK);
	    reply.setNoCache();
	    reply.setContentLength(c.getContentLength());
	    try {
		mt = new MimeType(c.getContentType());
	    } catch (MimeTypeFormatException me) {
		mt = MimeType.TEXT_PLAIN;
	    }
	    reply.setContentType(mt);
	    reply.setStream(in);
	    return reply;

or
	  reply.setContentLength(18);
	  reply.setContent("18 bytes length msg");

If you can provide good caching information, do so, as it will help
caches to handle that kind of reply.

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw