Re: How do I stop the JVM?

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Dave Harris wrote:

> Newbie question...
>
> If I run /Admin/Exit, the server itself stops and won't accept any more
> requests, which is good. But the JVM under which the server was running
> doesn't terminate. I have to switch to the DOS box manually and hit ^C to
> get rid of it.

When you start the server the usual way, you have two servers running,
the "normal" server, and the admin server. You must stop the admin server
also (it must run on port 8009).
For more infos on how to write a script to do that
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-jigsaw/1998JanFeb/0038.html

> I'm using Jigsaw 1.0beta2, under Win95. I am not normally connected to a
> network and don't have a DNS. I run the server by starting a DOS box and
> typing:
>   "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jdk1.1.5\Bin\Java" w3c.jigsaw.Main -root
> "C:\program files\Jigsaw\Jigsaw" -host 127.0.0.1
>
> (all on one line). This runs the current JVM, and the server and seems to
> be fine - it runs my Java servlets quite nicely. When I use
> http://127.0.0.1:8001/Admin/Exit the servlets are destroyed and I get:
>     http-server: http://127.0.0.1:8001/ done.
>
> in the DOS box, so presumably the server has stopped alright but the JVM
> itself doesn't exit. There is no C: prompt in the DOS box. Apart from the
> hassle of typing ^C manually, I'm worried that it kill the JVM abruptly
> and, eg, it won't run any outstanding finalizers.

This ctrl-c won't be very harmful as only the admin server will be shut
down by this.. and usually, it doesn't have to save anything (unless you
changed the realms, for example).

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw