Re: What's up?

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:23:39 +0100 (MET)
To: johnm-jigsaw@non.net
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On 7 Jan 1998 johnm-jigsaw@non.net wrote:

> [...]
> > The next release will be 2 releases, a more stable beta and the first
> > alpha of the 2.0
>
> Smokin'!  Can we get a two-minute summary/overview of the v2.0?

In the 1.0 all the resources served were extensions of the HTTPResource
so the same low level resources like FileResource were linked to the
protocol.
The design of 2.0 allow multiple protocols to serve the same resource.
Now a resource have protocol frames which allows multiple protocol to
share the same resource, for example, an HTTP frame and an HTTP-NG frame.
The ResourceStoreManager is in charge of giving resources to the servers,
depending on the protocol used.
Along with that, there is the possibility of notifying observers of one
resource. Suppose you have multiple people trying to configure Jigsaw at
the same time, once someone has changed one resource, the others will be
notified that this specific resource has changed. (It won't be in the
release as the current protocol used by the admin tool is not ready to do
"true push").
The ResourceStoreManager has been redone completely and now accept to do
real reindexing (the 1.0 reindexing was... deletion!)
That are the big lines.

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw