Re: Adding a properties form for a subclass of PropRequestFilter

Happy new year all!

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Paul Pazandak wrote:

> I see that a w3c.jigsaw.proxy.CacheProp properties entry is available
> from Admin/Properties...
> and that this is implemented by the proxy (regardless of whether the
> CacheFilter
> is specified as a filter). I would like to know if it's possible using
> the extension
> mechanisms within Jigsaw to add a properties entry for a filter I am
> creating?
> How would I go about this? I understand the format of the class, but
> what would I
> link this class into so that it is registered and available from the
> admin page? As
> opposed to the approach used to load CacheProp, I'd like this
> properties list to be
> loaded only when my filter is loaded (during proxy init).

The cache prop is created by the ProxyDirectory resource (in fact it is
in ForwardDirectory). As the proxy is the root resource, it is
initialized when the server start, that's why you can see the PropertySet
just after the start of the server.
The current version of Jigsaw can't register PropertySets on the fly and
add them to the properties folder of the admin server.
I added it, I will post that soon when the debug traces will be removed.

> Will I have to also modify the HTTPManager so that it reads the
> attributes I have defined?
> Or would I use a different approach than CacheFilter uses to retrieve
> my filter's related
> property attributes?

all the attributes will be loaded when the property set will be
initialized, and they will be stored in the main configuration file. Like
CacheFilter. The tricky part is to notify the existing clients, depending
on the property you are setting (for example, the read timeout on the
socket of an existing connection).
Of course saving the properties in the configuration file prevents having
multiple instances of that filter, but the server should only act as one
client, so it is not a big limitation.

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw