Attribute Access in HTTPResource and Subclasses Inconsistency

From: A. Richter <richter@fokus.gmd.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:59:17 +0200
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

Hi all,

during the process of writing new resources and extending already
available ones, I found an inconsistency I can't explain myself:

Most classes that inherit from HTTPResource add some attributes to the
attribute database. Usually, these classes define read access functions
(e.g. getSomeAttribute) as well, but they do NOT provide the
appropriate write access functions (e.g. setSomeAttribute).

The only solution to set attribute values from outside the class is a
public method called setValue. The drawback is that you have to supply
an attribute index. These indexes exist but unfortunately they are
"protected". Therefore you have to inherit from that class in order to
access these indexes.

OK, this was the foreword. Now the question: Why are there no write
access functions defined but a setValue method that is basically
unusable due to the fact that all indexes are protected.

From my point of view leave the indexes protected and make setValue
protected as well. Furthermore, add write access functions where
appropriate (i.e. for the editable attributes only).

Regards
	Alexander Richter

--
Alexander Richter | National Research Center for Information Technology
GMD FOKUS         | Research Institute for Open Communication Systems