Hello again to Jigsaw from CSER (and a problem) (fwd)

From: W. Scott Kerr <skerr@cs.toronto.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:17:50 -0400
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

 I have been using Jigsaw to build a software metadata repository over the
 summertime. I'm using Java as a glue language to link up different tools
 and viusualize information about software systems. Everything get's
 funneled into HTML from inside Jigsaw (instead of a CGI script).

 When the tools dump fact files or the facts are from java reflection I
 have no trouble, but when I try to start a process from inside Jigsaw,
 java.lang.Runtime.Exec() says the process cannot execute. I have a bunch
 of external tools that are wrapped in Java and work fine if launched by a
 non-Jigsaw class, but when I start the Virtual Machine with Jigsaw, it
 can't fork the processes. I'm starting Jigsaw as myself (as opposed to
 nobody) so the permissions aren't a problem. I couldn't find anything in
 the documentation about this. Does Jigsaw rewrite the environment
 variables or something preventing or limiting forked processes?

 Thanks,

 	Scott