Re: cache mechanism

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, WangChunlei wrote:

> When I turn jigsaw as a proxy cache, it works well . But I don't know
> how the cache works. In the cache directory I only find some files named
> cached.0 ,cached.1 ... If I request a url , how can the cache know the
> url is already cached or not and what is the exactly cache file name? I
> guess there should exist a mapping table. But what's the table name and
> where can I find it?

There is also a file cache.db
Use java w3c.tools.store.jdbmResourceStore cache.db to see what's inside
you will have access to the url, the location the content-type, date,
status, size...

> Furthermore if some urls are already cached , when I open a new browser
> or restart the jigsaw , can it be serviced correctly? I find after
> restarting the jigsaw , some cache files are renewed. for example , the
> new url will be saved as cached.0 cached.1... to recover the old cache
> files. So I think cache file will lost after restart jigsaw. Is it
> right?
If you open a new browser, you will have a hit in the cache, the cache
depends on the server, not on the browser!
If you are using jigsaw-alpha5, the cache will restore its state,
if you don't see directories 0/ 1/ ... upgrade to alpha5 otherwise, as
you use an old version, it may rewrite on the old cached files.

> I want to know the history urls through the cache server. Where can I
> find it?

If you have a logger, you will see the requests in the log file.

      /\        E tae koe ki Aotearoa kaua e whawhai; e u koe ki uta,
  /\ /  \       kei mahi ki tai ki Tu, puhia he angina; e mau ki tai
 /  \    \/\    ki Noho, he huhu, he pepe, he hanehane.
/    \   /  \        - Yves Lafon - W3C / INRIA - ylafon@w3.org -