An easy way for getting a resource from an URL?

From: Wolfgang Martens <martens@nads.de>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 14:32:22 +0200
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,

  I'm searching for an easy way to get the resource, that is associated
with an URL I have in some sort of MyResource.java.
  I have the URL as a String (can convert it to URL, I know) and want
a reference to MyResource to call some methods of it. I know, that I
can call getParent() and request.getClient().getServer().getRoot(),
and therefore find the Resource myself, but I thought there must already
exist some method for this.
  Upto now I did not find it. If I just did not look at the right
class, even a little hint could help.

Thanks,
	Christoph.