FileResource's GET vs. HEAD behavior

From: Joseph M. Futrelle <futrelle@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:36:37 -0600 (CST)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

In FileResource.get(), the resource deletes itself if it finds that
its file no longer exists. But this doesn't happen in head(). We ran
into this because we were attempting to use HEAD to test for the
existence of a file on the server. Obviously we should just use
GET. But why this difference in behavior?

--
Joe Futrelle
HTTP Server Development, Joule/Hacksaw Group