Re: JDK 1.1 advantage?

From: Bill Woods <bwoods@ccsmtp.memc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 08:55:55 cst
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

I would also like to be able to run 1.1 Jigsaw on a VMS (Vax) machine.
do you know of a 1.0.2 or 1.1 JVM that will run on this platform ?

Subject: JDK 1.1 advantage?
Author:  www-jigsaw@w3.org at MEMCPSMTP
Date:    3/10/97 2:02 AM

Dmitriy Kruglyak writes:
 > I'd like to know whether the next release of Jigsaw will take
 > advantage of the new features in JDK 1.1 and whether the
 > compatibility with JDK 1.02 will be maintained (or there will
 > be a double release?). I guess one of the greatest features
 > of the new JDK is highly enhanced performance for both JVM
 > and compiler. It would be interesting to see benchmarks of
 > Jigsaw on JDK 1.1 against Jigsaw on JDK 1.02 and other web
 > servers.
1.0alpha5 will compile/run under 1.1 (not taking advantage of it
fully, though)
My plan was for next release to be totally 1.1, I had hopes that by
next June, all Java VM would have been 1.1. As this doesn't seem to ne
realistic, I might, as you say have to do two releases (a tough job
If you have strong feelings against a Java 1.1 only release in June,
let me know,