Client Authorization Request & More General Mechanisms

From: Paul Pazandak <pazandak@OBJS.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:19:19 -0500
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hello,

What portion of code causes the authorization screen to be displayed on
the client asking for username & password?  (I am assuming that this
mechanism
is supported by HTTP). I have had a hard time tracking this down.

In addition, is there a more general mechanism available to request
information
from the user, _after_ the request is made but _prior_ to sending the
reply?  E.g. the
user asks for document foo.html & the server responds first with "what's
your favorite
color?"  Selecting "blue" from a list results a reply containing the
document foo.html
whose text is now blue. ...it's the mechanism that's important here,
this is just an
illustrative example!

Thank you,

Paul.

Paul Pazandak                                      pazandak@objs.com
Object Services and Consulting, Inc.             http://www.objs.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420-5409                       612-881-6498