Mirror Directory

From: Chris Hubick <hubick@defiant.synapse.med.ualberta.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:46:45 -0600 (MDT)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

	I configure a Mirror Directory resource, say named "mdr", in
my root resource, and set its mirrors attribute to
"http://mirrored.machine.name". I would *think* asking for
"http://jigsaw.server/mdr/file.html" would yield the equivalent of
"http://mirrored.machine.name/file.html", but rather it points to
"http://mirrored.machine.name/mdr/file.html".  I spent half a day figuring
why I kept getting file not found errors!  I think this behavior is
confusing, and should either be changed or documented better.  I would
think that if I actually wanted this behavior I would set the mdr
resource's mirrors attribute to be "http://mirrored.machine.name/mdr".

Damn Microsoft IIS doesn't give the URL requested as part of the 404
Object Not Found error, it wasn't till I pointed the mirror at my Apache
server that I figured out what was really going on.  Nice to see Jigsaw,
like Apache, also returns the URL requested with the 404 error.

Chris Hubick
mailto:hubick@medlib.com
http://hubick.medlib.com/