Re: Sending multiple Replies

> Nirmal Patil writes:
>  >
>  > Hello all:
>  >
>  > In the application that I am *thinking* of developing, I take input from
>  > a user through forms .. based on some parameters I would like to
>  > throw updates to the user at regular intervals .. meaning I have to
>  > send multiple replies for a single request ...
>  >
>  > How would this be possible in Jigsaw? Would appreciate some pointers/help.
>
> Your question isn't really related to Jigsaw but rather to http. The
> only available way of doing that is to use a MIME multipart stream,
> which is indeed doable under Jigsaw (even though there is not much
> help to generate multipart streams)
There is a also a *non-standard* way of doing this. That is to use refresh
headers. Basically you add a header 'Refresh: <delay> ; URL=<URL to fetch>'
This results in the browser fetching <URL to fetch>, <delay> seconds after
the original page has been loaded. The URL could have parameters (?x=...).
(The refresh will have to be present on the loaded page again if you want
to repeat the refresh) This method results in a large number of HTTP
requests and is especially inefficient if your need actually is to add text
to the page. However it is good for things like say a game commentary
ans is fairly easy to implement.
Works with Netscape 3+ and IE 3+. Don't know about others.

> Anselm.

Regards,
- Hari.
* P. R. Harindranath                  | email: hary@wipinfo.soft.net          *
* Wipro Infotech Ltd                  | phone 91-80-2241728 ext 3608/3609.    *
* Bangalore, India                    |                                       *