PostableResource

From: Anselm Baird_Smith <abaird@www43.inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 19:12:07 +0100 (MET)
To: "Bob Barter" <Bob.Barter@quickmail.llnl.gov>
Cc: "Jigsaw Mail List" <www-jigsaw@www10.w3.org>
Bob Barter writes:
 >                       Subject:                              Time:  9:06 AM
 >   OFFICE MEMO         PostableResource                      Date:  1/22/97
 >
 > OK, I think I'm getting the hang of PostableResources (always a risky
 > assumption -- but what the heck).
 >
 > I have read the 20 messages in the mail archive having to do with
 > PostableResource and have installed and run examples by Mark Lubin
 > (JigsawSurvey) and by Anselm Baird-Smith (ReverseString) -- my thanks to both
 > of you.  I think I'm OK as long as I stay in the shallow end of the pool.
 >
 > I think I understand the GET/query string/ConvertGet issue.  However, it looks
 > as though a user could inadvertently blow the resource away under the
 > following conditions:
 >
 > 1) I have a resource installed as: ..../User/test_survey
 > 2) I have the ConvertGet flag set to: true
 > 3) I have a html file: /Test/test_survey.html
 > 4) The html file contains:
 >     <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://....:8001/User/test_survey">
 > 5) Using Netscape 3.0, the URL:
 >     http://....:8001/Test/test_survey.html
 >     brings up the form.
 > 6) Filling out the form and selecting "submit" sends the information to the
 > resource
 > 7) The resource replies and Netscape displays the information along with
 >      http://....:8001/Test/test_survey.html
 >     as the URL
 >
 > <<< So far - nothing very exciting >>>
 >
 > 8) If I place the cursor in the URL line and hit return, then the browser
 > tries to access
 >     http://....:8001/Test/test_survey.html
 >     which - I think - gets interpreted as a GET without a query string
 >     which - I think - causes the dreaded "...indexed but not available..."
 > message
 >     which - I think - causes Jigsaw to remove the resource.
 >
 > Is there a way to protect against loosing the resource to this kind of action?

Set the container directory extensible flag to false, but that's not
really needed in your case:

step 5 says:

 > 5) Using Netscape 3.0, the URL:
 >     http://....:8001/Test/test_survey.html
 >     brings up the form.

and latter on, steps 8:

 > 8) If I place the cursor in the URL line and hit return, then the browser
 > tries to access
 >     http://....:8001/Test/test_survey.html

cause problems, I can't see the difference between these two calls (at
least wrt what happens in the server ?) I think I understand your
situation, but I would guess there is a config error somewehere.