Multihomed redirection servers

From: Steve LaRocque <larocque@hookup.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:36:08 -0500
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi all.  I'm trying to find a memory-cheap method of accomplishing the
following task and need to figure out if Jigsaw will do the trick.

I have a web server running on a machine as "www.PARENT.com" (names
changed to protect the innocent! ;-).  It has its own data as well as
some subdirectories such as "/subsidiary1", "/subsidiary2",
"/subsidiary3" and so on.

I also have registered domain names "subsidiary1.com", "subsidiary2.com"

What I'd like to do is to have "www.subsidiary1.com" map to a unique IP
address which is handled by Jigsaw on port 80.  When a request comes in
for "http://www.subsidiary1.com/dir/file", it rewrites the request and
issues an HTTP redirect to
"http://www.parent.com/subsidiary1/dir/file".  Note that I mean stemming
here, there is no one particular /dir/file involved.

I need to do this for 30 or 40 "subsidiaries".  This has elements of
basic URL redirection using stemming, and multihoming (IP address
based).

Anyone know if Jigsaw will do the trick?  Other ideas?

Other details: "www.parent.com" is Netscape Enterprise Server under Sun
Solaris.  Redirection server can be the same box or an NT server.

Thanks for any pointers you can provide!
Steve