Re: JDK1.1 ??

From: Yves Lafon <Yves.Lafon@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:02:35 +0100 (MET)
To: bpm@techapp.com
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Brian Millett wrote:

> I was just wondering about the ETA for having Jigsaw integrated with
> JDK1.1?  The sun docs show a 3x speed increase with the new JDK1.1
> over the JDK1.0.2

i was wondering also, so i did it :)
the TA is one day and a half to hunt all warnings and all errors (coffee
time included. (it is just a clean-but-quick port)

a short bench shows no improvement, and the use of sun's JIT compiler
adds only 20% performance (again, it is only a short bench).
Note that the jdk-1.1 beta is using green threads instead of native
threads. There are also bugs in the VM. It coredumps from time to time
while doing a simple File.exists() ...

> --
> Brian Millett
> Technology Applications Inc.     "Heaven can not exist,
> (314) 530-1981                          If the family is not eternal"
> bpm@techapp.com                   F. Ballard Washburn

	~~Yves