server-side java

From: S. Alexander Jacobson <alex@virtual.office.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:30:38 -0500 (EST)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org, fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
cc: Martijn de Vries <martijn@virtual.office.com>, bpm@techapp.com, harris@OpenMarket.com
Various people have suggested alternative environments including
fastcgi-java as well as the javasoft jeeves servlets which I
forgot to mention in my original mail.

I guess this brings up an intersesting point.  There are actually a few
separate questions to ask?
1. is there already an httpd-independent or standard in-process
server-side java environment?
2. since there appears to be that there is no httpd-independent or
standard in-process server-side java environment, is there one we can
adapt to provide this function?
3. if each existing model is too loyal (proprietary) to a particular httpd
implementation or too difficult to port to all the platforms (including nt
and macintosh os's and the netscape and iis webservers) then can we
define a standard interface that would
	a. allow code sharing among the various server-side java developers
	around the net analogous to the cgi/perl script sharing?
	b. facilitate writin code which maps our new interface to the
	proprietary java server apis in the way that database vendors
	provide odbc drivers

Is anyone interested in such a project?

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson       Virtual Office, Inc.     Internet Data & Commerce
1-212-799-2645 voice	 http://virtual.office.com	   1-212-799-1075 fax