Re: jigsaw resources under fastcgi

From: S. Alexander Jacobson <alex@virtual.office.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:17:44 -0500 ()
To: bpm@techapp.com
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org, fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com, Martijn de Vries <martijn@virtual.office.com>
On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Brian Millett wrote:
> S. Alexander Jacobson writes:
>  |Has anyone gotten jigsaw resources to run on top of fast-cgi?
>  |On top of the netscape server, apache, iis, website?
> Just the cgi-fcgi gateway as a CgiResource.  However Jigsaw seems to
> "hang" after the FIRST invocation of the fcgi.  Anselm is looking into
> the reason.

I think we are talking about different things.  I would like to develop
for a single java-in-process runtime httpd environment that runs with all
the major web servers.  I am interested in fastcgi because it seems to
provide the in-process capability to apache, ncsa, and openmarket servers.

Right now, the only way to write server-side java applications that run on
all webservers is to use a cgi-wrapper that loads java on every
invocation (VERY SLOW).  An in-process java environment would reduce
invocation time substantially and provides even greater advantages when
used with jdbc or other connection oriented protocols.

> However, with Jigsaw I feel that it would be smart to use the cgi-fcgi
> gateway until you can write a new Jigsaw Resource that would allow the
> "fastCGI" like attributes with session affinity.

I am not too worried about session afinity.  I have a good sense of how to
do that with jigsaw filters and jdbc.  I am much interested in a
consistent viable server side java development environment accross all the
major web servers.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson       Virtual Office, Inc.     Internet Data & Commerce
1-212-799-2645 voice	 http://virtual.office.com	   1-212-799-1075 fax