Re: Java NET.DLL implementation

From: Scott Jewell <jewellsc@pop.mts.kpnw.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 11:25:57 -0800
To: Anselm Baird-Smith <abaird@w3.org>
Cc: ssl-users@mincom.oz.au, www-jigsaw@w3.org
Anselm Baird_Smith wrote:
> Next release of Jigsaw will include exactly the right hook for SSL
> inclusion (which I use for HTTP-NG testing, in fact). I guess that
> with this hook in place, SSL support in Jigsaw should not take longer
> then - say - two days (well, four :-)
> Anselm.
> Scott Jewell writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I've recently completed some work on replacing the sockets routines
>  > within the NET.DLL supplied with Java with routines utilizing SSLeay.  I
>  > thought I'd see if there was any interest in making the routines
>  > available under the SSLapps umbrella.  These routines allow any Java
>  > program to communicate using SSL without modification.
>  >
>  > The implementation does require a single line modification to the Java
>  > source code in order to load the new DLL prior to the load of NET.DLL.
>  > Perhaps if someone knows how to build a new DLL from existing DLLs (if
>  > that's legal) we'd be able to eliminate the need to modify Java at all.
>  >
>  > Right now I'm basically just interested in determining the interest
>  > level as well as whether or not this has been or is being done somewhere
>  > else.  I hope what I'm suggesting isn't illegal.  I wouldn't think so
>  > since I wouldn't be distributing any encryption stuff or any part of
>  > SSLeay.  If anyone knows differently, please let me know!
>  >
>  > I've CC'd the Jigsaw mailing list as well since I figured there might be
>  > some interest over there as well.  I hope this isn't against some sort
>  > of mailing list etiquette.
>  >
>  > Thanks for any input.
>  >
>  > Scott Jewell
>  > jewellsc@pop.mts.kpnw.org
>  >
>  >
Hi Anselm,

First I'd like to say how much I enjoy working with Jigsaw.  Thanks to
all of you for a great product.

I have run into a little problem however.  As you may remember, I've got
SSL running under Java right now and it does just about everything I
want it to.  The only problem I'm having right now with Jigsaw is when
accessing directories or using two names for the same server, Jigsaw
appears to return a HTTP 302 relocated message with the Location:
specifying http://some_url.  This causes the browser a problem because
it then tries to access the URL using http rather than the https
protocol that was originally used.

I looked around for where the 302 is actually generated in the code but
was unable to find it.

Is there something I can do to prevent this behavior from Jigsaw?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Scott Jewell

The opinions and actions mentioned are my own and no one else.