Using Authenticate/Challenge to get User Name and Password

From: Noone <none@bellcore.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 08:51:52 -0500
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
I would like to prompt a user for a user name and password (similar
as is being done in GenericAuthFilter), but I need to be able to
pass the returned values to a Java resource "page".  I have looked
through the code for the GenericAuthFilter, HttpChallenge, HttpFactory,
Request, Reply, and others, but have been unable to find the code
fragment that sends the HTTP UNAUTHORIZED message to the client
browser and gets back the response.  Any clearer suggestions on
where to look or, preferably, an example "Java page" that does
this?
			Thanks in advance,
			David Pepper
			dpepper@bellcore.com