Request for feature: Logger.sync()

From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <alex@access.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:04:45 +1000
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,

I was looking at the Logger class with the buffering Logger in mind and I
realized, that there is one function missing that would be nice to have and
easy to implement.

This function is Logger.sync() (or flush()). This basically would flash the
log buffer if any on the disk.
That would be useful for debugging without having to change buffer size to
0 and back.

If flush function was present, I could create a log checkpoint resource
very easily. Or maybe a resource that can flush the buffer every minute
whether it is full or not (I can see some problems with keeping that
resource from being purged though.. ).

The implementation required for Flush() is already in the code for
CommonLogger, so the only change needed is to add publish method to the
Logger interface and isolate the code into the method.

The only thing requiring thinking is whether to have one Flash for all
three log streams (error, trace and normal logs) or to be able to specify
which one (how?).

Regards,
     Alex.

alex@access.com.au