Re: persistante storage copy (Alzheimer)

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:32:34 +0100 (MET), Anselm Baird_Smith wrote:

>Kai Schmidt writes:
> > Since for some reason /Admin/Properties?ckeckpoint did not finish and had to be killed my Jigsaw
> > keeps forgetting between invocations.
> >
> > I restored the complete Jigsaw/Jigsaw/config directory from the distribution, but all the resource
settings
> > last only until I kill Jigsaw. So here are my questions:
> >
> > In which files does Jigsaw store it's internals between invocations?
> > Can I just copy these storage files (to another Jigsaw server) to copy some saved defined
attributes like
> > extensions or realms?
>
>Here is the layout of Jigsaw/config directory:
>
>Jigsaw/config/stores
>    Contains the "stores" which themselves contain the pickled version
>    of resources, there is typically (not mandatory) one store per
>    directory. You can browse a store by using the following command:
>
>    $ cd Jigsaw/config/stores
>    $ java w3c.jigsaw.http.resources.SimpleResourceStore <store-file>
(tippo w3c.jigsaw.resources.SimpleResourceStore <store-file>)

>Jigsaw/config/auth
>    Contains the authentication realm catalogs, along with each realm
>    database.
>
>Jigsaw/config/cache
>    Is the default cache directory, when using Jigsaw as a caching
>    proxy.
>
>Jigsaw/config/dirs.db
>    Is the directory templates database
>Jigsaw/config/exts.db
>    Is the extensions database
>Again, these two files can be brwosed using, eg:
>    $ java w3c.jigsaw.resources.SimpleresourceStore exts.db
>
>Now, all cross references between these various pieces are by
>"name". This means for example, that if you have installed an auth
>filter on some directory, the auth filter saves a realm name, that it
>will look up in the realms catalog. The point is that you can
>basically copy any piece, provided names are kept consistent.
>
>As an example of what you can do, to reindex your all site, you can
>just:
>
>- shut down Jigsaw
>- copy the all default stores files into your own config/stores
>  directories
>- restart Jigsaw
>
>This will preserve realms, extensions and directory tenmplaates, but
>will trigger a full reindexation of your web site.
>
>WARNING: Of course, this is a hackish way of doing things, so I would
>strongly recommend not doing it (and I won't helpp you if you do). If
>you feel you understand what happens, then give it a try...

So first thank you for this in depth explication. The good thing is: I think I understand. The less good
thing: it does't
help.

Let me give you a simpel cookbook example:

a) I delete my dir /Jigsaw/Jigsaw/config     (at least this works just fine)
b) I restore the orginal config by tar -txv ...   (alle the stores and exts.db is back)
c) I use the main method of $ java w3c.jigsaw.resources.SimpleresourceStore exts.db
    to look at exts.db and it contains the '.Z' extension.
d) I start jigsaw
e) I point my OS/2 WebExplorer to /Admin/Extensions and see all the extension definitions (including
'.Z')
f) Now I delete the '.Z' Extension
g) I reload the page and '.Z' is gone.
h) I now try all sorts of  things /Properties?save /Admin/Exit to get this @#*^ to store on disk
i) I repeat c) and it still contains '.Z'
j) I exit and kill jigsaw
k) I repeat c) d) d) and '.Z' is still there <sigh>

This is the same for the admin.db!
I do have however another Jigsaw running which was never broken and stores at least the admin.db.
So again: is it really enough to copy/restore/change the config dir to cure Jigsaw from the Alzheimer
desease?

Kai