persistante storage copy

Kai Schmidt writes:
 > Since for some reason /Admin/Properties?ckeckpoint did not finish and had to be killed my Jigsaw
 > keeps forgetting between invocations.
 >
 > I restored the complete Jigsaw/Jigsaw/config directory from the distribution, but all the resource settings
 > last only until I kill Jigsaw. So here are my questions:
 >
 > In which files does Jigsaw store it's internals between invocations?
 > Can I just copy these storage files (to another Jigsaw server) to copy some saved defined attributes like
 > extensions or realms?

Here is the layout of Jigsaw/config directory:

Jigsaw/config/stores
    Contains the "stores" which themselves contain the pickled version
    of resources, there is typically (not mandatory) one store per
    directory. You can browse a store by using the following command:

    $ cd Jigsaw/config/stores
    $ java w3c.jigsaw.http.resources.SimpleResourceStore <store-file>

Jigsaw/config/auth
    Contains the authentication realm catalogs, along with each realm
    database.

Jigsaw/config/cache
    Is the default cache directory, when using Jigsaw as a caching
    proxy.

Jigsaw/config/dirs.db
    Is the directory templates database
Jigsaw/config/exts.db
    Is the extensions database
Again, these two files can be brwosed using, eg:
    $ java w3c.jigsaw.resources.SimpleresourceStore exts.db

Now, all cross references between these various pieces are by
"name". This means for example, that if you have installed an auth
filter on some directory, the auth filter saves a realm name, that it
will look up in the realms catalog. The point is that you can
basically copy any piece, provided names are kept consistent.

As an example of what you can do, to reindex your all site, you can
just:

- shut down Jigsaw
- copy the all default stores files into your own config/stores
  directories
- restart Jigsaw

This will preserve realms, extensions and directory tenmplaates, but
will trigger a full reindexation of your web site.

WARNING: Of course, this is a hackish way of doing things, so I would
strongly recommend not doing it (and I won't helpp you if you do). If
you feel you understand what happens, then give it a try...

Anselm.