Re: Jigsaw on Macintosh

Doug Marker writes:
 > Re the performance stats - I may have misled you. When I said they start
 > high - I mean the average numbers. This means x response. After a day
 > or so the numbers drop ie 1/4 of x. this means 4 times faster than the
 > first set of averages.
 >
 > So to restate my meaning - the av performance times don't look nearly as
 > good when I first start Jigsaw as they do a day or two later - there is
 > differnce factor of about 4-5 times faster response after a day or so.

In this case, you are right, it might be the caching scheme used in
Jigsw. What really happens is that resources are restored from .jigidx
files on demand, so when you launch the server, nearly all hits will
trigger some resource restoring. Then, once the most accessed resource
set is in memory, everything should become really fast.

BTW: Jigsaw doesn't cache file content in memory, I might write a
filter (if time allows) that would do such a caching. You would then
plug it on highly accessed directories (such as /icons), to make some
of the resource content cached in the given area...

Anselm.