How does DirectoryResource keeps its listing?

From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <alex@access.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:10:01 +1000
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,

I was looking through the code of DirectoryResource and one small bit
striked me as extremely strange. Directory resource has a variable listing,
which is not an attribute. It is never saved anywhere and it is
recalculated only when underlining data is modified or when it is null. (I
assume on first reference for the directory listing).

The problem is, I always assumed that I have a single instance of each
resource and when it is accessed it has its parameters set before and saved
after. If I am right, that under some circumstances a Directory resource
should show for new directory listing of old directory.

On another hand if I am wrong, then when do new instances of a resource get
created, by whom, and when are they released?

Please resolve that mistery for me, because I don't know how much I can
relly on non attribute variables.

       Alex.

--------| I feel as confused as a baby in a topless bar. |--------