Request/Reply doesn't have enough methods for Filters.

From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <alex@access.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:46:49 +1000
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,

I am trying to extend DebugFilter to trace information flow in mine and
supplied Resource classes. However, I have problems with it, because there
are not enough methods to expose this information.

For example, I am trying to debug LastModifyed / IfModifiedSince
interaction and for this purpose I need to dump their values from
Request/Reply corresponding headers. Now I am able to dump 'If modified
Since' header by using getIfModifiedSince() method of Request (or dump in
MIMIHeaders as it might be). However, I see no way to access LastModified
information in Reply.
I do not want to modify Library Reply class and recompile it, so what
options do I have left?

On a general note, Request class does not allow to set headers, even though
I can probably get around it by using defineField and getField in
MIMEHeaders class. Reply, on the other hand; does not have even that much,
and does not give out any information except for content* and status.

What would I have to do if I wanted to use my filters to modify headers on
the way in and out. Or if I wanted to log all redirects and record referer
who was pointing to old place, etc.. I really don't see a way to do that
now as a filter on resource, not part of resource itself.

Comments anybody? If I am right it  _might_  require 6th redesign Anselm
was talking about.
On another side, I could be barking up the wrong tree. :-{

      Alex.

--------| I feel as confused as a baby in a topless bar. |--------