Re: Discussion: Packages naming.

From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <alex@access.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:32:48 +1000
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
At 2:22 PM 20/8/96, Antonio Ramirez wrote:
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I am writing couple of filters and resources for public domain and have no
>> idea what package should I put it into. I know the most valid choice is to
>> put it under my reversed DNS name (AU.COM.ACCESS.JIGSAW) but it seems to me
>> not many people would like to create such deep directory structures just to
>> put one or two resource/filters (that is if anybody would like my stuff at
>> all :-{ ).
>

>But since Java can load classes from zip-compressed files, maybe that's
>not such a big problem. You can always distribute a project in one
>file, and only people that need to modify the source need to expand the
>whole thing (given that the source is distributed too...)

Interesting notion.

However, what happens when I produce one more file. This file would most
probably be unrelated to all others, so It would not be nice if people
would have to download a whole package when they want only one file from
it. Especially if they already have most of them.

Another issue as I already mentioned, I would prefer to have all packages
(mine and not) under the same logical tree.  I don't really know what would
happen when I distribute w3c.jigsaw.personal as a zip file. Wouldn't that
conflict with official distribution zip file?

Alex.

--------| I feel as confused as a baby in a topless bar. |--------