Question about mail folders..

Sean Doyle writes:
 > I'm having trouble mentally parsing the MIME and mail classes, which I'm
 > sure is due to my lack of familiarity with mail systems. If I wanted
 > Jigsaw to read mail with MIME enclosures and serve them as resources via
 > Jigsaw, it appears that I would need to do the following:
 >
 > 1. Create a socket to a mail server and download the messages.
 > 2. Write them to the mail folder in some standard format.
 > 3. Use the w3c.mail.VMailMailFolder class to process these
 >    files and move them to the correct directory
 >    for the server to see (and perhaps do other processing on
 >    them).
 >
 > So..
 > 1. Is this correct?
 > 2. I think that Jigsaw contains code for step #3 but not #1 or #2.
 >    I've played with code from gamelan that creates mail messages
 >    with MIME enclosures.. is the best way for me to proceed to
 >    read the RFCs on SMTP and implement a protocol? Or is there
 >    an easier way?

The only thing I can say is that the mail stuff included in Jigsaw was
to be used as a way of providing access to an existing mail folder
(that's why, as you mention 1 and 2 are not implemented).

However, this mail stuff is buggy, and it will probably be made
obsolete by the new MIME package (to be included in next release). If
you stick to the mail folder API, howeveer, you should be able to
reimplement it on top of the new MIME parsing engine (which, BTW is
much, much more efficient).

Anselm.