problem with Reply.setStream(InputStream)

From: Anselm Baird-Smith <abaird@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:13:42 +0500
To: Ying Xie <xie@freedom.ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org

Ying Xie writes:
 > I tried to seperate the line pointed by "------>" into two statements and made
 > sure that the exception was thrown at connection.getInputStream(). It was a
 > java.lang.NumberFormatException.
 >
 > How could this happen? Any hint?

Yes, I think I got it: Jigsaw way of emiting the reply status line to
a request, although not in-compliant with the spec, emits mutliple
blacns instead of a single one:

Instead of the normal:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Jigsaw says:
HTTP/1.0  200  OK

You can fix the bug in Reply.java (hum unfortunatelly I don't have the
old version handy), look around the emit method, there is a line that
should look like
emit("HTTP/1.0 "
     , status
     , blah)
Remove the white sapce in the version string, you should be all
set. Also, the URLConnection will be fixed to accept more spaces in
next JDK release.