Problem: Client output stream closed

From: Anselm Baird-Smith <abaird@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 08:15:58 +0500
To: Radomir Mladenovic <rade@ban.junis.ni.ac.yu>
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Radomir Mladenovic writes:
 >  > Normal again, and shouldn't appear in the errlog too. This shouldn't
 >  > cause any "other" problems (if it dies, let me know).
 >
 > I think that I've been missunderstood here. On most of the requests
 > the jigsaw server responds great. Unfortunately, sometimes it gets false
 > alarm that client output stream is closed. Netscape Navigator waits
 > for a reply, and, after aprox. 40 seconds, I get a message box with
 > text "Document contains no data"! That can't be normal (persistent
 > or non persistent connection).
 >
 > When server is in trace mode, in this case, it reports:
 >
 > java.io.IOException: Client output stream closed.
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Reply.flush(Reply.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Reply.emit(Reply.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.emitReply(Client.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.loop(Client.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.runConnection(Client.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.run(Client.java)
 >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
 > w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException: Client output stream closed.
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.emitReply(Client.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.loop(Client.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.runConnection(Client.java)
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.run(Client.java)
 >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
 >
 > If I request same document again, I get correct data. Request refers
 > to ordinary HTML document, not to my resource class.

Also, there is a bug with Netscape <= 2.x, which makes it hangs when
Jigsaw (or any server) emits an error on a persistent connection, if
you are using such a version of Netscape, then this can be the
problem, otherwise, since I haven't seen this bug reported before, it
might well be a Irix specific thing.

Anselm.