Re: URLs without extension

Rainer Klute writes:
 > Hi Anselm,
 >
 > I am just playing around with Jigsaw and I am getting stuck with
 > two problems. Can you help me and give me a hint? The background
 > is that I am going to serve an already existing huge bunch of
 > documents with Jigsaw. The production server we have in use is the
 > CERN server.

I think, it's a bit early for switching for CERN to JIgsaw (consider
Jigsaw is still in alpha state). However, I don't want to discourage
you from being the first to try the experiment...

 > By the way, I am just writing an article about Jigsaw for the German iX magazine, see http://www.heise.de/ix/.

Good, any chance to get a copy when it's done ?

 > 1. How can I point Jigsaw to the document space and just let it
 >    go? Using the -space command line flag does not help because Jigsaw
 >    aborts with a fatal error. Copying .jigidx to the document space
 >    doesn't help. How can I establish a new one?
 >
 >    *** Fatal error, aborting
 >    w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd: Unable to restore root resource [root] from repository [/usr/local/www/doc/NADS/Intern/.jigidx]
 >    *** [httpd]: fatal error, exiting !
 >    java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to restore root resource [root] from repository [/usr/local/www/doc/NADS/Intern/.jigidx]
 >            at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.fatal(httpd.java)
 >            at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.initialize(httpd.java)
 >            at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.<init>(httpd.java)
 >            at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.main(httpd.java)

Basically what I would do is replace the actual WWW directory by a
simlink to yyour data space, after having copied the /Admin directory
in your current data space.

 > 2. How can I get Jigsaw to serve documents with no extension in
 >    the URL? For example the URL is /foo/bar. However, there's no
 >    file bar in directory foo, but just bar.html. The CERN server
 >    nicely delivers bar.html when requested for bar. Is this possible
 >    with Jigsaw, too?

DirectoyResource have a 'negotiable' flag for this exact purpose. Turn
it to true on the WWW template directory, it will be activated for all
your directories.

You should do this beforer accessing any other data from Jigsaw.

Anselm.