Re: Accept-Charset support

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

> > "The second region (1000-1999) is for the Unicode and
> >ISO/IEC 10646 coded character sets together with a specification of a
> >(set of) sub-repetoires that may occur."
>
> 10646 does define several subsets. They appear not to have been registered
> by IANA. They are language related, rather than vendor related.

ISO 10646 does define subsets. Unicode does not. ISO takes the
formalistic approach, whereas Unicode takes the practical
approach. The Web, and HTTP and HTML, are definitely on the
practical side.

> The best solution to the problem raised is via "accept-language". It can be
> reasonably assumed that if my preferred languages include French I can
> display the French characters.

This may be okay as a heuristic, but it is not needed at all.
Actually, the wording might be a little different:
If the browser includes French, the server can assume that
the browser and the user take the responsibility to display
French, in whatever way they do it.

Regards,	Martin.