Re: charset issues

# If HTML could be changed, perhaps an attribute on the FORM would
# make more sense?

You're right. Actually, I changed the example while I sent the mail,
and broke it. For backward compatibility, you probably want something

  <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=charset

where older (but conformant) browsers would take the characters
numeric character references, translates them into the charset used
for encoding the form, encode the resulting octets into
x-www-form-urlencoded using hex encoding. With a sufficient selection
appropriate numeric character references, you could probably reverse
engineer which charset was actually used.