Re: dynamic language switching

Jim Saunders wrote:

> > A further example, not mentioned at the time, is the public access
> > terminal or kiosk - internet cafes, tourist information services,
> > library terminals, hotel room terminals. Any situation in fact where
> > the machine and the browser stays put and there are multiple users.
>
> This is the best example that I've seen to date. Keep them coming,
> what other business models absolutely require on the fly changes to
> the localization rather than exiting the application to change
> localization.

Playing devil's advocate:

On the other hand, most kiosk systems I've seen (not that I've seen
very many) hide the platform, and the kiosk application takes over
the entire UI.  In this model, there is a need to for the content
to dynamically switch UI, but not necessarily the browser.

The public access terminal example might be different. If it's
restricted to just web browsing, then dynamic UI might be nice.
However if the usage includes email/groupware functionality,
then each user probably will want to "log-in" somehow and not
just sit down in front of an already running browser.

Multiple user support is a larger issue than just switching UI.
This may require multiple copies of user preference data. Is there
a need for dynamic run-time switching of such data or just the
ability to switch at launch time (equivalent to logging in)?

-Bob.

--
Bob Jung (bobj@netscape.com, +1 415.937.2688, fax:+1 415.428.4058)
Netscape Communications, 685 E. Middlefield Rd., Mt View, CA 94043