[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

If we are considering Web pages using Windows Code Pages, in which
illegal numeric character references have been used for characters
in the range 80-9F (decimal 128-159) then there will be no clash
with anything in Unicode as these values do not represent characters
in Unicode or, for that matter, in ISO 8859-X.  A permissive browser
will simply map these to the expected characters.

Misha

---

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Misha Wolf wrote:

> The following extract from RFC 1866, "Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0" shows
> that legal numeric character references have been based on Unicode for quite
> some time and certainly prior to the I18N draft.

I quite agree here, and I do acknowledge this; but I do insist on current
practice beeing the problem. Doing a quick scan over all reachable pages
linked
in from the webdirectory (www.webdirectory.com) last night; I do find a
substancial number of pages which would be broken. About 7%/4K pages. OF
these about a fifth dates of before RFC1866.

But *AGAIN* I acknowledge that there _should_ be no problems, people
should not have relied on NCRs in the low top bit range; but they have
done so. And if you have easy ways of marking your pages such that you do
not break excising practice, you should do so.

Dw.