Re: dynamic language switching

> At the Sevilla conference last week, a few mentioned the need to be able
> to dynamically switch the language of the client's menus and so on. I'd
> like to hear a few examples of situations where this is really needed
> (as opposed to just being "nice").

1) Dynamic L10N

To avoid confusion, we should call it "dynamic localization" rather than
"dynamic language switching".

I believe it is an important facility.  In any case, it will be the
deciding feature when buying a browser; or better, many thousands browsers.

  + From the point of view of the vendor, he can ship the same product to
    many customers.

  + From the point of view of big users (e.g. European Institutions that
    buys ten of thousands of copies):

     - They can distribute the same product to everybody.  Note that
       distribution is a mayor logistic problem.

     - The same work-position can be used by people that speak different
       languages.  A very common situation.

This is only one of the aspects of L10N.  There are others as the
messages that come back from the server.

Dynamic L10N must be done like Tango; i.e., without restarting the
program by opposition to the NeXT Computer where the program has to be
stopped, change the language preference and restart the program.

2) Language swaping

This is changing the content displayed; e.g., changing from the Treaty of
Rome in English to the Treaty of Rome in Spanish.

"Dynamic language switching" could be confused with this.

By the way, this is another basic infrastructure that should be
considered.  But:

 - It must be generalized to include translation request.

 - Before, it must be solved the standards for parallel data structure in
   the server and the marking for alignedness.  I am working on these.

Regards
Tomas