Re: A character is in the eye of the beholder

Keld Simonsen wrote:

>Well, does the ordering have influence on WWW ?
>I think it may do so, for example when a server sends over a
>sorted list of files in a directory. It may also influence indexes
>which could be of some importance in the chaotic world of the web.
>
>So I think the web should support culturally dependent ordering.

In theory, this is already possible. The client would send an
"Accept-Language" line in the GET header in the HTTP protocol,
and the server would prepare the information accordingly.
But I guess this will take some time to be implemented on
many servers.

>> However, for many if not most purposes, it is customary to sort
>> ideographs phonetically. Because, as Martin has mentionned, pronounciation
>> of an ideograph depends on language and context, and the different
>> languages have different phonetic sorting orders, it's impossible
>> to say that ideograph A comes before ideograph B in all cases.
>> What you need e.g. for correct sorting in an index, is to
>> annotate the words and expressions you want to sort with phonetic
>> information, and to use this phonetic information for sorting.
>
>Yes, that is also my understanding.
>
>But given that you do not have pronounciation data available for
>a CJK string, I would say that the specifications of ISO CD 14651
>is adequate for ordering them.

Well, it is not too difficult to include pronounciation
annotations. And in some cases they also appear graphically.
See draft-duerst-ruby-00.txt for a proposed extension of HTML
for this purpose.

Regards,	Martin.