Re: A character is in the eye of the beholder

Martin J Duerst wrote:
> Keld Simonsen wrote:
> >Which languages require accented characters placed at the end of the list?
> I guess Martin ment languages like Danish and Swedish, which put some
> accented characters (which they might not call accented character)
> at the end of their alphabet.

In Swedish we use four characters outside the A..Z English alphabet:

Åå (A with a ring)
Ää (A with two dots)
Öö (O with two dots)
Éé (E with acute accent)

The former three (ÅÄÖ) are thought of as separate letters, and
included at the end of our alpabet (..., X, Y, Z, Å, Ä, Ö) but
the fourth one (É) is thought of as an accented E. A proper
sorting algorithm for Swedish words should put words starting
with Å, Ä or Ö at the end of the list, while ignoring the difference
between E and É.

--
Carl Johan Berglund <f92-cbe@nada.kth.se>
http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~f92-cbe/