Re: Using unicode or MBCS characters in forms

> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:34:09 -0700
> From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
> Subject: Re: Using unicode or MBCS characters in forms

> > What software would you recommend for web transactions that
> > contain unicode or MBCS data?
>
> Unicode isn't used very much yet (if at all), but MBCSs like Shift-JIS,
> EUC-JP, EUC-KR and so on are used a lot. Stateful charsets like
> iso-2022-jp are also used. I would recommend Netscape Navigator for the
> client side, and Netscape's servers on the server side.

Personally, I'd like to see a more multilingual emphasis on the web, so I'm
looking forward to more Unicode in documents, in browsers and in network
servers. Ad hoc solutions may work for legacy data, but in the long run properly
labeled documents and intelligent content negotiation are the best bet for
transmitting and displaying information as the author intended.

(Today, I installed GB fonts on my system for the first time and was pleased
with the results I saw on the screen, but I was appauled by the need to set
character encoding preferences in my browser's property sheets. )