Re: Personal names and forms of address

Barry,

Thanks for providing a much better explanation than I could have
(although I could add a few more nasty examples including
needing to know just when the name was used or fits in
historical context because, e.g., patronymics evolve into clan
names and then into "last names").  This problem is the king of
rat holes in the i18n area and one either needs to admit it is
unsolvable in the general case, develops a typology that is too
complicated for people to actually use, or goes looking for a
Procrustean Bed and associated instrument for torturing people,
names, or both.

best,
    john

--On Thursday, February 15, 2018 09:02 -0500 Barry Leiba