Re: Personal names and forms of address

Hello Behnam,

On 2018/02/14 08:57, Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In "Localization vs. Internationalization
> <https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-i18n>", we have "handling of
> personal names and forms of address" listed under i18n topics, but I cannot
> find any other resources on the topic on W3C i18n docs. So, wondering if we
> have any document that gets to more details.
>
> And, in general, are there any good resources on the topic online or in any
> books?

Here is what I was able to remember:

Some specifications of other WGs came up with field names "first name"
and "last name". We advised them to use "given name" and "family name".
That was a long time ago, and is actually not good enough.

I think later, the advice was to have free-form fields for names, maybe
different fields for different usages (e.g. name on billing address,
name on bagde/lanyard,...). But I'm not sure to what extent such advice
was ever written up or codified.

I remember having reviewed and/or listened to various talks at Unicode
conferences about names or addresses (which include names). I seem to
remember that Addison gave such a talk.

Regards,   Martin.